Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Harvard University Marching Band Practice

Returning from a trip to New York State at about 9:30 PM on September 11, 2008, I saw a group of Harvard University Marching Band members playing on the "overpass," in front of the Science Center on the Harvard campus. I had no thought they they were serenading me. I am not an elected official. That piece of land is owned by the City of Cambridge but is "administered" by Harvard. Many Harvard faculty members, administrators and students and some of Harvard's police officers, think that Harvard owns the land because they use it for university functions all year. In this case they had no permit to have a concert, and it was after 9:00 PM the hour noisy work is banned in the city. But these are Harvard people who have no obligations to others. You can see one of the band leaders give me a look as I filmed him.

No comments: