Tuesday, July 28, 2009

DUMPSTER LOADING PRACTICE

Monday July 27, 2009 at about 7:05 AM this truck landed outside of my window and unloaded this huge green dumpster. The truck drove away. While I was wearing ear phones working on audio the driver came back, uploaded the dumpster and took it away. At about 11:15 AM he returned and again unloaded the dumpster. About 30 minutes later he returned and again uploaded it and took it away. He did not return a third time. Here's my question. Was the driver practicing? Was he just doing it to make noise and to annoy me? I was able to take these still photos which do not include the sounds of the uploading which is not very inspiring or danceable. On Tuesday July 28, 2009 at about 7:05 AM the company truck appeared with a dumpster and dropped one again. At about 7:25 AM a truck appeared and took it away. Then at about 1:45 PM another dumpster was dropped. At about 2:05 PM the truck appeared and picked up the dumpster. I called to the Cambridge Department of Public works to inquire what was going on. A DPW employee referred me to the Department of Traffic and Parking, which issues permits for dropping dumpsters. I was unable to get through their voice mail to a real person for the man in charge or his emergency referral person. I left a message for the deputy of the department. I also called to the C. J. Mabardy Company which is in Cambridge. The receptionist asked my name. I did not want to give it for fear of having one of their employees come and beat me up. It is a "removal" as in trash company. I said I would call back which I did. I finally spoke with their point man for directing their dumpster deliveries. He told me that the dumpster was dropped at the location under direction of the construction project manager. He was able to determine that it was from the renovation construction of the high school, one and one half blocks away. I did not say that I knew they needed a permit to drop their dumpsters no less their drawers. I asked how long it was going to continue. He said he did not know, but that it was only for the "initial demolition." That meant that after they knocked down whatever they were knocking down there would be no more dumpster drop-offs under my window. On Wednesday July 29, 2009 there was no drop off at 7 AM as there were on the previous two days. On Friday July 31, 2009 the company dropped off a dumpster at about 7:20 AM and picked it up at about 7:50 AM.












1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unfortunatly in Cambridge there is no room for roll-off companies to do "container switches" on site. They need enough room for 2 containers and the truck. What you witnessed was the driver dropping a can so he could go around the block, move the full container out of the way and then pick the empty back up, place it where needed, then pick up the full container to bring it to the dump. Unfortunatly in Cambridge there is NO ROOM for construction work. It's an extremely hard job and no the driver wasn't "practicing" and cudos to the company for doing all of this within the legal time constraints of the city.